Carpets — for most kids, adults, and pets — can pose a significant health risk. On average, these floor coverings can accumulate anywhere up to around 40 pounds of dust and dirt every year. Based on where you live and the amount of foot traffic your carpets receive each day, this figure can nearly double, severely polluting your indoor air quality.
Thousands of dangerous germs and dust mites can survive in your carpets. As the most trusted carpet cleaning company in Elmhurst, Illinois, here’s our take on how your carpeting could be making you sick, and what you can do to protect your and your family’s health.
Unkempt Carpets Affect Your Health – Here’s How
Carpets can be great — they can make your property cozier and more appealing. Plus, your choice of patterns, finishes, and colors can add a unique and personalized touch to the space. Carpets provide excellent cushioning on the floor, especially if you have a wooden or concrete surface, making it more comfortable to sit, stand, and walk. They also act as sound barriers, insulate the property, and prevent slip and falls.
However, despite all the advantages of having carpets on your property, they demand a fair amount of maintenance. Failing to keep up with the proper maintenance not only reverses your carpet’s beauty, but it can also make the occupants sick.
What’s in Your Carpet?
Your carpets may look harmless to the naked eye, but deep inside, they could be soiled with hundreds of filthy allergens, bacteria, and pathogens. All kinds of things can accumulate in the carpets, including the following:
- Dirt and dust
- Food particles
- Insect feces
- Pet dander
- Dead skin cells, etc.
Allowing these elements to sit in your carpet can pose a serious health hazard.
What Can Dirty Carpet Do?
Over time, accumulated allergens can release dangerous fumes into the air you breathe, leading to short-term and long-term health risks. Dirty carpets can:
- Increase the risk of asthma
- Cause several other respiratory allergies
- Develop skin irritations and infections
- Weaken your immune system
- Harbor unwanted pest invasion
To eliminate this risk, it’s important to have your carpets professionally cleaned on a regular basis. A professional cleaning once or twice per year will help eliminate the risk of being exposed to a host of sensitivities and illnesses.
Protecting Your Home – Take These Steps
- Make sure you don’t place carpeting in every room of the home.
- Replace old and overused carpets.
- Use high-quality carpets made of natural materials.
- Reduce indoor humidity and fix any water damaged areas.
- Avoid putting carpets in the bathroom, kitchen, basement, and laundry room.
- Use a HEPA vacuum multiple times a week to reduce the amount of dust.
- Clean any stains right away, and don’t let them sit for long.
- Have your carpets checked if you notice a foul odor that doesn’t seem to go away.
Looking for Professional Carpet Cleaning Services in Elmhurst, Illinois?
Dirty carpets not only look unsightly, but they also threaten your well-being. Protect your carpet and your health with our professional carpet cleaning services in Elmhurst, Illinois! We don’t just remove stains, dirt, and odor, but we also suggest preventative solutions to our clients to minimize uncertainties in the future.